I am currently employed by a small municipal government and work a full 40 hour week. I am hoping to work in real estate as an agent part time to supplement that salary. Additionally, I have ambitions of owning rental property and I feel like becoming a real estate agent will be helpful.
Most of my time in the workforce has been with either a city, state or county government.
There are many aspects of working for the government that are outstanding:
- I really love helping people
- I (and my wife) enjoy having solid benefits
- Having a reliable paycheck and knowing what is going to be on it
At the same time working with the government is frustrating:
- The government moves at its own speed (slowly)
- Citizens blame public employees for high taxes in one breath, and expect greater services with the next
- The benefits and pay are not as good as they used to be
- No matter how hard I work, I will make the same amount of money
I am looking forward to starting something where limits can be set high, and where hard work will have a direct impact on what I bring home.
It will be difficult to balance both becoming, then being an agent with my position. I hope documenting the challenges and successes will be helpful to anyone else who is thinking of doing the same.
In the future, I am going to talk about why I chose real estate as the avenue to help me increase earning and my net worth.